Unfortunately, practically every homeowner in Chico will need plumbing services at some point. Your home’s plumbing system is crucial for everyday life, so keeping it functioning correctly should be high on your priority list. Fortunately, maintaining your plumbing is not too difficult and can help keep major problems at bay like leaks, clogs, and damaged pipes. Sinks, toilets, water heater tanks, and other fixtures are built to last for years, sometimes even decades, when maintained correctly and regularly.
Plumbing Services Chico
To help make it as easy as possible to keep up with plumbing maintenance in your Chico home and keep you from needing frequent plumbing services, here is a list of tips from our experts at Watkins Plumbing that you can start incorporating into your routine right away.
- Keep your toilet clear of clogs by being strict with what gets flushed down the toilet. Only your own waste and a small amount of toilet paper should be flushed down a toilet. Things like hygiene items, cotton swabs, plastic, hair, or any other item/material can accumulate in the line and result in a major clog. Make sure you have a wastebasket in the bathroom next to the toilet to make it more convenient to throw items in the garbage instead of flushing them down the toilet. Clogged toilets are one of the most common problems requiring plumbing services and most can be avoided by watching what you flush down the toilet.
- If your toilet does get clogged, be sure to know how to stop the water flow. There are few things more stressful than observing the water level in the toilet bowl rise closer and closer to the brim. Open the tank and press the flush valve all the way down if there is any chance that your toilet bowl might overflow. This will stop the water flow and give you time to resolve the clog with a plunger. If your plunging efforts are not working to drain the toilet, call for plumbing services before the problem gets any worse.
- Any time you have to use a plunger to unclog your toilet, follow it up with a rinse of hot water and soap. Pouring hot water and soap into the bowl can help clear away any other obstructions and keep your toilet bowl clean at the same time. Get the water as hot as you can out of the faucet, then fill the bowl as much as you can. Pour in the dish soap and let it works its magic. This simple step will aid greatly in clearing any remaining obstruction.
- While we are on the topic of draining, clogged shower, sink, and tub drains are another common cause for plumbing services. It is important to clean your drains regularly either with a commercial cleaning agent or your own mixture of hot water, vinegar, and baking soda (which is extremely effective). This will help keep blockages at bay and allow water to drain quickly.
- Another easy way to keep your drains from getting clogged is to install drain covers. Drain covers are inexpensive, and can be purchased from most local convenience or home goods stores. Any soap scum, hair, or other debris will be caught in these strainer-like contraptions where you can remove them and throw them in the garage instead of letting them go drain your drain.
- Last but not least, check for leaks regularly around sinks, faucets, appliances, and the water heater tank. Plumbing services for leaky pipes are an everyday occurrence, and in many cases, the leaks have been going on for quite a while before they were noticed. Make it a habit to check for any signs of leaks every time you clean.
Even with all of the maintenance checks, emergencies can still occur, unfortunately. If you’re even in need of a plumber to help you with your plumbing problems, don’t hesitate to call Watkins Plumbing.